In order to assign a warehouse to a new order, you need to specify rule. There are three types of rules:
1. ZIP code based rule: This rule requires you to specify the ZIP codes you wish to cater from a particular warehouse. An order would get automatically allocated to the warehouse if the ZIP code provided by the buyer falls under the list of ZIP codes mentioned for a particular warehouse. This function is very useful for the sellers who have warehouses located in different parts of the country.
For example: If you get an order from a customer in Noida, and you have a warehouse in Delhi which covers most of the zip codes in north India, the order would be automatically assigned to the Delhi warehouse. While an order from Hyderabad would get assigned to your Chennai warehouse, given you have listed the zip codes of south India in the Chennai warehouse.
2. SKU based rule: Similar to the ZIP code based rule, the segregation of orders to the warehouse depends on the SKU. You mention the list of SKU's (products) present in the first warehouse under, say, Warehouse A. The other SKU's would be mentioned under the second warehouse, say, Warehouse B. This would automatically allocate the orders to their respective warehouses. You could add any number of warehouses in the same way.
For example: Let's say, you sell books and toys and have different warehouses for each of them. When you get an order for a book, it would be assigned to Warehouse A and an order for a toy would get assigned to Warehouse B.
3. Channel based rule: Channel based or the marketplace based rule lets you segregate order to different warehouses based on the channel the order was received on.
For example: An order from Amazon would be assigned to Warehouse A and an order from Flipkart would get assigned to Warehouse B.
Adding warehouse rules:
- Click on 'Add' under the Allocation rules section of the warehouses main page. Warehouse allocation rules page would open
- Click on 'Add more rules' in the warehouse allocation rules.
- New page will open. Select the warehouse, select the type of rule to be added, copy and paste the values (ZIP codes/SKU's/channels) in the box against 'Add values' and click on Add rules to complete the process. Ensure that each value is one per line.
The rules have been successfully added.